Thursday, July 14, 2011

Cow Tipping

I took a break from NASCAR and Budweiser tonight to have dinner with my parents at one of the best vegan-friendly restaurants in Elk Grove...Thai Chili.  The location is sketchy (in the same parking lot as Dollar Tree and Blockbuster), but the inside ambiance is what you would expect from a Thai restaurant in the states.  Tons of elephant and buddha statues and bamboo everything.

The service at Thai Chili is really good.  Food comes out hot, on time, and delicious.  For our appetizer we ordered fresh salad spring rolls with a sweet and sour peanut dipping sauce.  The rolls were standard spring rolls with an added twist.  Inside the rice wrapper, chunks of pineapple were paired with mint, tofu, and daikon.  The extra pop of sweet in the traditional spring roll was delicious and surprising.

My parents ordered dead flesh for their entrees (I totally watched in horror), and I ordered the pumpkin red curry with brown rice.  TO DIE FOR.  Chunks of fleshy pumpkin reside in a coconut milk curry that contains bell pepper, basil, and flash fried tofu.  It took all of my willpower to leave some of the curry in the bowl and not eat ALL of it.  I am stoked I did, because what is better than amazing curry for dinner? Um...amazing curry for dinner AND lunch the next day :)  My only quip about the meal was that I asked for my curry to be  blazing hot, and it came out mild.  Oh well, nothing chili flakes couldn't fix.

All in all, if you are in Elk Grove, and you find yourself hungry and don't want to go somewhere super chain-y, stop at Thai Chili.

No comments:

Post a Comment